I build more transmogs around helmets than almost anything else. I rarely, if ever, hide my helmet, so I like to have something that’s visually interesting, even if it’s maybe a little bit ugly. Therefore it was absolutely perfect when I came into possession of a Faceguard of the All-Consuming Maw recently. From the moment I saw the hat that looks like a cross between a zergling’s face and a dead dinosaur, I knew one thing: I was going to have to mog around this hat.
- Head: Faceguard of the All-Consuming Maw (Throne of Thunder LFR, from Twin Consorts)
- Shoulders: Shoulderguards of the Unflanked (Mogu’shan Vaults LFR, from Spirit Kings)
- Back: Dreadfire Drape (Firelands Heroic, from Lord Rhyolith)
- Chest: Scourgelord Chestguard (1100 JP, from vendors in Dalaran or Icecrown Citadel)
- Shirt: I’m using Master Builder’s Shirt (Blackrock Depths, from Fineous Darkvire) but you can really use any dark shirt - it’s only visible around the elbows
- Tabard: Purple Trophy Tabard of the Illidari (quest reward from Battle of the Crimson Watch, from a very short - and at 90, very easy - quest line in Shadowmoon Valley started by The Journal of Val’zareq)
- Wrist: not shown
- Hands: Crafted Dreadful Gladiator’s Dreadplate Gauntlets (crafted by max-skill blacksmiths, learned from the Lightning Steel daily cooldown)
- Waist: Acherus Knight’s Girdle (death knights start with this, and can buy another one from Quartermaster Ozorg in Acherus)
- Legs: Protective Engineer’s Leggings (quest reward from WANTED: Goreclaw the Ravenous in Dustwallow Marsh)
- Feet: Chrono Boots (End Time, from Murozond)
- Two-Handed Axe/Mace/Sword: Greatsword of Forlorn Visions (Botanica normal or heroic, from Warp Tender) - note that this sword has a faint greenish glow that will hide your runeforge
- Polearm: Shadowstrike (Molten Core, from Sulfuron Harbinger) or its lookalikes (Onyxia’s Lair, from - who else - Onyxia)
- One-Handed Axe/Mace/Sword: You could use Greatsword of Horrid Dreams (Shadow Labyrinth normal or heroic, from Murmur) - it’s the same model as the Greatsword of Forlorn Visions, but in one-handed weapon form - but I didn’t like the reddish tint of that sword; I ended up using 2x Kil’rak, Jaws of Terror (Terrace of Endless Spring LFR, from Sha of Fear)
View the entire item list on Wowhead, including weapon suggestions.
Changes for other classes
Nothing here is faction-specific (the two quest reward pieces are both from neutral quests), but if you wanted to wear this as a warrior or a paladin, the pieces you’d have to swap out are the head, chest, hands, and waist.
- Head: Crown of the Golden Golem (Throne of Thunder LFR, from Dark Animus) is identical! This is the only really easy replacement, unfortunately.
- Chest: There are several lookalikes in terms of model - all from ICC heroic bosses - but ironically all of them are the wrong color. You can honestly wear whatever you want as long as it’s a dark color - 90% of your chestpiece is covered by the tabard. In an earlier iteration I was using Goblin Treat Tin, and no one could tell how badly mismatched it is. If you really want to match, you can get the awesomely-named Chestplate of Violent Detonation (Throne of Thunder LFR, from Jin’rokh the Breaker) or the Rot-Proof Greatplate (Throne of Thunder LFR, from Megaera), but I really don’t think it’s necessary. As I said - thanks to the tabard, you can just get “close enough” with the chestplate.
- Hands: There is unfortunately no lookalike for these that isn’t death knight specific. You might try other Throne of Thunder LFR pieces that visually match the Helm of the Golden Golem - those would be Pathogenic Gauntlets from Primordius and Rein-Binder’s Fists from Iron Qon.
- Waist: The neat thing about Acherus Knight’s Girdle is that it is unique: it is an invisible, transmog-able belt. I don’t even know what mogging belts is like anymore. ;) For those of you who aren’t that lucky, your best bet is to either try to match the helmet (although that belt is a little freaky looking), or go with a “micro-belt” - pencil thin belts, conveniently available in purple and green.
- Micro-belts: Girdle of Many Blessings (Slave Pens heroic, from Rokmar the Crackler), Sha’tari Vindicator’s Waistguard (quest reward, from How to Break Into the Arcatraz, which is part of a fairly long quest line), and Royal Qiraji Belt (Temple of Ahn’qiraj, from Emperor Vek’lor) - the last is probably my favorite due to the neat spider belt-buckle
- Matching belts: Plated Toothbreaker Girdle (Throne of Thunder LFR, from Megaera) and Abandoned Zandalari Goreplate (from “failbags” in Throne of Thunder LFR, Nalak, and Oondasta)
- BONUS: Back: If you can’t get anyone to do Heroic Rhyolith with you, the Mantle of Doubt from Elemental Bonds: The Vow has all the same colors, but in a different shape, as does the Sleek Flamewrath Cloak sold by Naresir Stormfury at Friendly with Avengers of Hyjal (the Firelands raid rep).